Saturday, October 3, 2015

Two Month Shots and a Stressed Mama

Let me just start this post off by saying that seeing your child in pain is awful. Liam got his two month shots at his doctor's appointment yesterday and it was such a stressful event for this mama.

Before his shots, not a care in the world.

 He did great, but I was a nervous wreck going into that office. And of course it took FOREVER for that nurse to come in and give them to him. First another nurse came in to ask a few questions about Liam and see if we had any questions for the doctor. Then a few minutes after that the doctor came in to check Liam out and tell us how perfect our little man is. And then it took another about 15 minutes for the nurse to come in with the shots (even though it felt like an hour). The waiting was the worst part. Just looking at him laying on the table, all trusting and smilingly clueless as to what was going on. 

Liam destroyed the paper on the table by kicking like a mad man.

Then the nurse came in with THREE shots and at the sight of them I almost lost it. My poor little baby, I thought. She first gave him an oral medicine for a stomach virus and he loved that thing. She would take it out of his mouth to make sure he was swallowing and he would follow the medicine, as he was going "Mmmmmm". The boy likes to eat, what can I say? So then we laid him down on the table and she told us to talk to him and distract him, so that's what we did. There was a change in his sweet, happy demeanor when she rubbed the alcohol swabs on his thighs. He knew something was up that he wasn't going to like. The nurse was amazing, though. She stuck that boy so fast with those three needles, there was no pause in between. It was over in the blink of an eye and she had the band aids on him and he was back in my arms. He screamed for maybe a minute after they were done, if that long. I tell you what, that boy made me feel like a fool for how stressed I was about it. We got him dressed again after he stopped crying and put him back in his carrier

All smiles after his shots :)

 He was happy and good to go again when we left the exam room. I got him a sucker on the way out, because he deserved it! And no, he didn't eat it, just licked the wrapper and screamed at Jim when he tried to take it from him.

The boy and his beloved lollipop.

He stared at me like this for the 30 minute ride home.

He was an angel until between 8 and 9 last night after his bottle. He was crying and squirming and we could tell he was in pain. We had given him infant Tylenol between 6 and 7 so we knew it wasn't time for more yet. We didn't know what to do, cuddling and rocking him wasn't even working...and that always works for him. Finally I looked up what to do and another mom recommended taking the band aids off. As soon as they came off of his legs, he settled down and fell right to sleep. He slept until 2:30 this morning. 

Jim and Liam sleeping through my workout early this morning.

For goodness sake's, mamas who haven't gone through this yet, take those things off when you get home! Apparently they can hurt worse than the actual shots, because they're pulling on the poor baby's legs. 

I feel like I aged 10 years yesterday. But it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Once we took those bandages off his little legs, he was good to go and he got a really good night's rest. We have a really good baby on our hands and I know that we're blessed. 
He's a trooper, and I realized yesterday that he's stronger than his own mama, because I struggled more than he did.

XOXO,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment